There are two types of sentences in English writing; active voice and passive voice. Of the two, active voice is most preferred and widely used by writers as it eliminates ambiguities in sentences. Passive voice, on the other hand, is less preferred, as it promotes the sentence’s object to the position of a subject. Indeed, some of the most commonly searched phrases on Google include ‘check my paper for passive voice,’ ‘how to convert passive to active voice,’ ‘change passive voice to active voice online,’ and how to change to active voice.
As a writer, there are different problems you’ll face when there’s passive voice misuse in your work. For starters, it makes the sentence structure murky, difficult to understand, and hard to keep the readers engaged. Along with that, passive sentence construction sometimes eliminates the subject completely, giving the reader a wrong impression about your frail writing skills. Worse still, finding passive misuse mistakes with naked eyes can be hard. But with the help of a free online active to passive voice converter, you can easily identify and correct these mistakes, leaving your sentences error-free.
Typical Passive Voice Errors to Fix with Passive to Active Voice Generator
There are many types of passive errors that a student and even a professional writer can make. Some of them include:
- Promoting the sentence’s object to the position of a subject. Example: The cat chased the car. Instead of: The car was chased by the cat.
- Forming passive structures with intransitive verbs. Example: He died. Instead of: He was died.
- Forming passive structures with verbs describing states. Example: Those shoes don’t match the dress. Instead of: The dress isn’t matched by those shoes.
How to Change Passive to Active Voice: Useful Tips and Tricks
Fixing passive voice in your writing can be challenging especially if you have limited knowledge of how the basic sentence structure works. Luckily for you, we have created a list of useful tips and tricks that you can use when proofreading and revising your work.
The first tip towards fixing passive voice in your writing is to rewrite your sentences to ensure the subject comes before the verb. As you do so, you’ll find your sentences begging to tighten, ultimately improving your writing.
Another important factor to keep an eye on is all the action-based sentences in your writing. If a subject in a sentence is doing something, ensure you double-check to see if they’re doing it or “something” is being done to them. This way, it becomes easier to find the sentence with the active voice and misplaced verbs and shift them to their right position.
You can also check for passive voice misuse using our online passive voice finder. Our active and passive voice checker crawls through your texts looking for passive voice examples and difficult-to-read sentences. Along with that, it also gives you the appropriate suggestions, making it ideal for students and professional writers.
Mistakes That Our Passive to Active Voice Generator Can Help Fix
If you’ve got questions on how to change a sentence from passive to active our tool does much more than that. Here are some of the mistakes it can help catch:
- Grammar check passive voice. Our passive vs active voice checker crawls through your texts looking for passive voice examples and difficult-to-read sentences and offers the most appropriate suggestions.
- Structural and stylistic check. Our active or passive voice checker also scans through your writing identifying weak structural and stylistic sentence construction. And once done, it offers the best alternative suggestion, helping improve the eloquence and logical flow of your sentences.
- Grammar and punctuation check. Our passive sentence finder uses advanced NLP and English grammar rules to identify and correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes.
- Plagiarism check. Along with helping convert the sentence to passive voice, our tool also doubles as a plagiarism checker. It conducts deep internet and database searches to catch any accidental plagiarism in your work.
How to Fix Passive Voice Using Our Passive Voice to Active Voice Online Converter
Using our change the voice online converter is easy, and removing passive voice in your writing takes less than 10 seconds. What’s best, the results are almost instantaneous and you don’t need to download anything or create an account.
Simply follow these easy steps:
- Start by visiting our website.
- Copy your text from the source document and paste it on the empty dialog box. Alternatively, you can choose to type on the dialog box directly.
- Next, click on the ‘Check’ button and the active voice to passive voice converter free will crawl through your text identifying passive voice construction.
- Once done, all the passive misuse and other grammar mistakes will be highlighted and the most appropriate suggestions shown just next to the mistakes.
- Make the corrections as suggested or as you may deem necessary.
- Copy your text and paste it back to the source document.
What Sets Our Passive Sentence Finder Apart?
- 100% free. Our online tool allows you to conduct comprehensive grammar checks without paying a single dime.
- 24/7 availability. Our online passive voice finder is cloud-hosted, making it available anytime and from everywhere.
- Secure. Our tool utilizes advanced encryption technology, so you can rest assured that your work remains secure from prying online scammers looking to steal your work. Still, your texts are not saved on the local servers, so you don’t have to worry about them being shared with third parties.
- No download required. Our tool works on all browsers, meaning you don’t have to download anything or create an account and start receiving countless promotional emails.
Most English teachers and professional editors disapprove and discourage the use of passive voice. And although it is not inherently wrong to use passive voice, it can greatly affect the readability, eloquence, and coherence of your writing. Ideally, you should try and maintain at least 99.5% active voice, and use passive voice in scenarios where you want to emphasize the action being experienced by the person or subject in a sentence. Unfortunately, scouring for typos in your texts may seem like a chore but is not as intensive as checking for passive voice misuse. With our active to passive voice converter, however, you can easily identify all passive voice usage mistakes and correct them in advance.